Monday, April 30, 2012

Why so private?

I have made the switch to a private blog.  There were several reasons for the change.  I have been blogging for about 2 years now.  In the beginning, I really think that only my mom and sister were reading.  I don't have any of my family living in Tuscaloosa (other than family I married into) so the blog was a way for my family to see pictures from our daily lives.  Well, the blog started to become more popular.  We had about 100 readers on a day where I put up a new post.  I know that is not a lot to many bloggers:) At first, I was flattered.  I mean, we are not very interesting people.  Then, it started to make me a little nervous.  For example, I have a loyal reader from Alaska....logs on several times a day.  I don't know anybody from Alaska.  I don't like that any random stranger can have such an intimate glimpse into our lives.  Also, many of my students commented that they were reading my blog.  Now, you all know how much I love my students.  However, some of the things that I write about (breastfeeding comes to mind) is really not appropriate for them to be reading about their teacher.  Last night I was in bed and an overwhelming feeling came over me that I needed to make the blog private.  I told my mom that I knew it was the Lord speaking to me.  I actually got out of bed and changed it immediately.  I love that we have so many readers, but the goal of the blog remains to create a scrapbook for my boys.  I appreciate those of you who are still reading, and I hope that the logging in and using a password is not too much of a pain.

2 comments:

  1. How do you check to see who is reading your blog? I check the audience several times a month and do not notice anyone from a different state or country consistently reading it, but it only shows me those pageviews. How do you know if they are logging on several times a day? Or every time you post a new article? I would be interested in finding out this information. BTW, I think you did the right thing. It would creep me out to see that someone was consistently reading about my personal life.

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Let me be more specific. It would creep me out to see that someone I did not know was reading about my personal life. Ha! That sounded mean!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete