Friday, September 9, 2011

Update on Andrew's Finger

Andrew's finger has now been healing for 6 days. I thought we were over the hump. Well, his teacher called me at work today...never good. When she changed his bandage, she noticed that there was a yellow discharge and his finger was swollen. I called his pediatrician's office, and they told me that it sounded like something that could wait until the afternoon. I couldn't wait until the afternoon, though. I called the daycare back and told them that I was on my way. I am so thankful that his teachers were paying such good attention to him, changing his bandage regularly, and keeping me updated. They continue to impress me with his care. I am also thankful for my principal. She always tells me to go when daycare calls, takes care of getting a substitute for me, and is even willing to cover my class until a sub can get to the school if needed so that I can leave right away. Anyway, Andrew and I went straight to his pediatrician, and she said that his finger was in fact infected. Other than that, it was healing up nicely. So, he is now on antibiotics and she said to not expect a complete recovery for 3 weeks. There were some other really good things that came from the appointment. He was approved to take a bath. The poor little guy had not had a bath in a week! She also said that he could leave the bandage off of his finger. While this is good because it is a daily fight to keep him bandaged, it scares me for the wound to be exposed. I know that it does need some air, though. Andrew was tired when we got home, so he took a long nap. Here he is for the first time without his bandage since his accident.



No comments:

Post a Comment